Creamy Spinach and Salmon Pasta
Cheers to a “Me-Night”
Just me and a cozy blanket curled up on a Friday night with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc watching re-runs of “Say Yes to the Dress”. I know…don’t judge me…I really don’t know why I like this show…….I mean c’mon I’m well past needing a wedding dress, my children are both married, and the show is most often filled with ridiculous drama. Maybe it’s the girly-girl inside of me…pretty dresses and a wedding day. Yeah, I’ll go with that.
And with my ‘Me-Night’ comes Salmon…always. Mr. Spinner doesn’t care for it and it just happens to be my favorite. What better time to create another recipe and enjoy every bite. Ahhh yes, another salmon recipe…and this one shares the spotlight with pasta, spinach, and a creamy sauce.
Not just any pasta, Garofalo GF Casarecce Pasta. Garofalo makes one of the best gluten free pasta’s I’ve had and the shape of these little guys called ‘Casarecce’ make a great presentation too. They are free-formed twisted and curled little tubes that hold the creamy sauce and keep a nice nutty chew with each bite.
But oh….this sauce! A rich and creamy combination of Boursin Cheese, cream, and white wine. It’s decadent and light, not thick like Alfredo…more like silky and smooth…creeeeeaaamy. The Boursin and wine keep it bright, different. (If you don’t have Boursin cheese, you can use light cream cheese and a little feta. It’s not quite the same but it will work.)
Now for the Salmon…it’s lightly seasoned with a sweet chipotle and cumin blend then grilled until tender and flaky. Then crispy bacon lardons, walnuts, and baby spinach add texture and flavor, with a finishing touch of Parmesan and red pepper flakes to put it over the edge. Seriously.
It was so good I made this twice in one weekend. The first round was without red pepper flakes or walnuts as the picture shown. But the second time around I added them and it gave it another layer of yum. It simply enhanced an already delicious dish.
Spend an evening with your favorite cocktail, my Creamy Spinach and Salmon Pasta, and whatever show brings out your inner you. You’ll look forward to the next ‘Me-Night’ all by your beautiful self.
- 1 cup bacon lardons (about ½ lb)
- 12 oz tube shaped G F pasta (Garofalo GF Casarecce)
- 2 - 7 oz skinless salmon filets
- 2-3 tsp Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin, Sea Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Boursin garlic and herb cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup white wine
- Reserved pasta water
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Handful raw walnuts course chop
- Red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat grill on medium high
- Season both sides of the salmon filets with sea salt, pepper, chipotle and cumin. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill salmon 5 minutes per side until flakes easily. Remove to platter and set aside.
- Cook the bacon lardons until crisp and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Put a pot of salted water on for the pasta and bring to boil. Cook the pasta to package directions until al dente. Reserve about a cup of the pasta water and drain. Don't rinse. Return pasta to pan and add a slight drizzle of olive oil to keep moist.
- In a large saute pan heat the cream to a slow boil over medium heat and add the spinach, salt and pepper to taste, stir until the spinach wilts. Add the wine and Boursin cheese stirring until creamy. Add ¼ cup pasta water, Parmesan, red pepper flakes and 4 cups of the pasta. Toss.
- Add more pasta water as needed until it's a loose and creamy sauce, to your desired consistency.
- Break the salmon into chunks and gently toss into the pasta. Top with the bacon, a sprinkle of walnuts, fresh black pepper, and a little more Parmesan to taste.