- 4 boneless skinless salmon fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 16 shrimp, 31-40 count, thawed and patted dry
- 16-20 Asparagus stalks, ends removed, rinsed, and cut in half
- Mashed potatoes or Risotto
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ½ tsp green peppercorns
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ lemon pepper
- ½ dried basil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed in garlic press
- 4 Tbsp butter cut into 4 equal pats, plus 2 more Tbsp to finish
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 Tbsp fresh shredded Basil
Grind all seasonings (fennel seed through sea salt) with a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder ensuring the peppercorns are ground. Sprinkle just enough to lightly season the prepared salmon fillets and shrimp. (You may have left over spice, just store in a small re-sealable bag for another use.)
At this point you can cover salmon and shrimp with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to prepare.
In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the 1/3 cup onion until it starts to become tender and add the 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Saute for about 1 minute and push the onion garlic mixture to the outer edges of pan to make room for the salmon fillets. Saute the salmon, searing on the one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip salmon to sauté the other side and add the shrimp, arranging the shrimp to lay on hot pan surface. Saute both salmon and shrimp for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the 4 Tbs Butter, arranging each pat between the salmon and shrimp. As the butter melts, shimmy the pan to distribute the butter around the pan creating a sauce. When pats are melted, add the white wine and swirl around in pan. As the wine bubbles, it will reduce a bit. Add the final 2 pats of butter , swirling again as they melt, finishing as a loose creamy pan sauce. Add the shredded basil and remove from heat. It will not be a thick gravy, it’s meant to be a pan sauce.
Plate the salmon over a bed of mashed potatoes or risotto, arrange the shrimp around the salmon and pour just enough of the pan sauce over the top to glaze the dish. Finish with the asparagus spears and fresh shredded basil for a truly fabulous dish.
* You can also grill the salmon if you prefer and make the shrimp and sauce as directed.