Fajita Lunch Bowls
Each Sunday this past winter I spent my afternoon making soup and began sharing it with my Mom….I call it ‘Soup Sunday’. I drop off two containers of soup Monday mornings on my way to work for she and my stepdad. I love seeing them as often as I can, so this is a perfect way to give Mom a quick hug and kiss and tell her I love her.
Sometimes I made a classic soup referencing a recipe from my site and sometimes I felt uber-creative and spun a new recipe. I love making soup. It’s quite simply the warming-factor of creating a homemade pot of delicious love and sharing it with someone.
So this particular Soup Sunday was bright and sunny….warm and Spring-like. I wasn’t feeling the soup-vibe. How about lunch bowls instead? Yes, I like it…..Soup Sundays will be reserved for snowy winter days and Spring Sundays will be Lunch Bowls. Oh the ideas spinning in my head.
My first Lunch Bowl? A Fajita Bowl. Grilled chicken breast on top of lime-cilantro brown rice with grilled peppers and onions, black beans, corn, and sliced avocado. YUM! And instead topping it off with salsa or sour cream, I drizzled my Southwest Dressing to keep it light and to balance all the flavors. It’s light, fresh, gluten free, dairy free, and sooo very good!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Your favorite Chipotle/Southwest seasoning (GF)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½" strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½" strips
- 1 sweet onion cut into strips
- 3 cups prepared brown rice (Trader Joes frozen is easy!)
- 2 Limes
- Bunch of fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 green onions, chopped using white and green
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Season the chicken breasts with the Chipotle/Southwest seasoning on both sides, be sure to use enough as this is the only seasoning they will have. (Check the salt on your seasoning ingredients)
- Heat a cast iron grill pan on med-high until smoking hot.
- Drizzle the chicken breasts with a little olive oil and place on the hot grill pan.
- Cook approx. 18 minutes, turning as needed so as not to burn. When juices run clear remove from pan and allow to rest.
- With the pan still hot, grill the onions and peppers, two batches at a time, searing only enough to gain a little char. Veggies should still be crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Slice the chicken breasts at an angle creating strips and chop the veggies into large pieces.
- In a medium bowl add the brown rice, juice of one whole lime, ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 Tsp chipotle seasoning. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients together and whisk to combine. Divide into 4 small lunch-sized dressing containers and put lids on.
- Arrange the ingredients in each bowl so all are visible. It doesn't matter the order.
- Rice, beans, corn, chopped veggies and onions, sliced chicken, and top with chopped green onions.
- You can bring the avocado with you whole and slice when ready to eat or if you slice it up ahead be sure to drizzle a little lime juice over the slices to prevent browning.
- When time to eat, lightly heat the entire bowl just until warm and drizzle the Southwest Dressing over all. Bring extra lime slices if you like it extra zippy.