Broccoli Cheese Soup
My quest to create a creamy, cheesy, flavorful Broccoli Cheese Soup that’s lighter and doesn’t include heavy cream or flour has been conquered!
All the mouth-watering and bowl-licking flavor properties have been met in this easy, cheesy broccoli filled soup.
The texture is silky with bits of tender (not mushy) carrots and broccoli. For the cheese I used flavorful Gruyere instead of the typical cheddar, which adds a nutty sweetness. A dusting of fresh grated nutmeg over the top adds the finishing touch. Absolutely Divine.
And because I didn’t use flour for a thickener, it’s just as thick and creamy the second day (that is if there’s any left!).
Enjoy my friends………..
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced (like vidalia)
- 1 cup finely sliced carrots
- 3 cups small chop fresh broccoli flowerettes
- 1½ Tbsp minced garlic
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) pkg ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- 1 (12 oz) can Lowfat Evaporated milk
- 2 triangles of The Laughing Cow cheese wedges (omit if you don't have)
- 2 cups good chicken stock (or vegetable if you prefer)
- 1 carton Pacific brand cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon, chicken flavor (or your fav bouillon)
- 1 cup good quality Gruyere cheese, shredded
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- In a large heavy dutch oven over medium heat saute the onion, carrots, and broccoli in the butter and olive oil until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute another minute seasoning with salt and pepper (not too much salt as the cheese will add saltiness).
- Add the cream cheese, evaporated milk, and Laughing Cow Wedges and whisk until smooth. Add the chicken stock, mushroom soup, and bouillon. Whisk to incorporate until smooth and creamy. Cover and turn heat to lowest setting and allow to gently simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the Gruyere and cheddar cheeses, stir to combine and shut heat off. Allow the cheese to melt into the soup slowly (this prevents grainy texture) while stirring.
- Finish with fresh grated nutmeg and serve.