Thumbprint Cookies with Apricot or Plum Jam
These little buttery bites of sweet nutty goodness are a must-have on the Christmas Cookie Tray. The original recipe is from my girlfriend who brought them to a cookie exchange years ago. Waaalaaa…now they are converted to gluten free! Thanks for a great recipe, Kim!
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Shortening (butter flavor Crisco)
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose gluten free flour (Gluten Free Pantry is a preferred brand)
- Or use my go-to All purpose GF flour blend
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix brown sugar, shortening, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape into 1″ balls.
- Beat the egg white and dip the ball in the egg white then roll in to nuts.
- Press thumb deeply in center of each and bake at 350 degrees until light brown 8-9 minutes.
- Cool and fill with jelly or frosting.