up as needed to accommodate the varied breakfast times. The inspiration for my baked french toast was a recipe Ree Drummond of The Pioneer Woman made for her daughter and friends, and I was dying to make it gluten free.
- Butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 (12 oz) pkgs Udi’s Cinnamon Raisin Bread, torn or cut into pieces
- 8 whole Eggs
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (I used lowfat 2%)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup low fat half and half (not fat-free) Regular is fine too
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract (or vanilla bean paste is wonderful!)
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Freshly grated Nutmeg, Optional
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
- 100 % maple syrup, warmed for serving
- Butter, for serving
- Fresh sliced strawberries lightly sweetened with sugar
- Blueberries (optional)
For the French toast: Grease a large casserole pan (lasagna pan is perfect) with butter. Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together with the eggs, milk, creams, sugars, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed (overnight works too). I made mine right away and it was still so good.
Bake for 45 minutes for a softer moist bread texture or an hour -plus for a firmer crisp texture. Allow to sit for 10 minutes then scoop out individual portions. Top with butter and drizzle with warm pancake syrup and fresh strawberries.