She went out of her way to point out the items I could enjoy and the ones to avoid. One of the evenings they were celebrating Japanese night and Chef Altagarcia took me over to the grill station (everything was cooked to order) and told me she was going to have an “especial” plate of fried rice prepared for me. She informed the chef behind the grill of my allergy. From there she took him step-by-step in the process of cleaning his grill, washing his utensils, and starting with fresh ingredients to prepare fried rice for me. Goodness, I was taken back at the level of professionalism and concern to ensure I didn’t get sick.
- 1/2 of each – Red, Green, Yellow (or orange) bell peppers cut into thin strips then cut in half
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped – some reserved for dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple, finely diced (be sure to use fresh)
- 1/3 cup finely sliced red onion
- 10-12 medium sized cooked shrimp, tails removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 lime juiced (if really small, use whole)
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
- Diced jalapeno to taste
- Honey if your pineapple isn’t sweet enough-add as needed but not too much or you’ll lose the fresh zip!
- Chopped cilantro is optional
Toss the salad ingredients together in a medium glass bowl. Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over all. Toss and serve immediately. If you make this ahead, don’t dress the salad until just before serving. Adjust ingredients to taste, adding more pineapple juice or lime juice. Serve over a bed of mixed greens and enjoy!