Power-up with my quinoa cakes…little disks of protein heaven.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp Boursin garlic and herb cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 carrot finely grated (about a ½ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely minced onion
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp McCormicks Perfect Pinch Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- Olive oil or Canola Oil for frying
Add all the ingredients in a medium bowl and gently mix to combine. Taste for seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste.
Heat 2 Tbsp oil in frying pan over medium heat until flecks of water sizzle. Form a heaping Tbsp of the quinoa mixture into a ball and pat to form a nice round disk. Slowly add the quinoa cake to the hot oil and continue adding additional cakes without crowding the pan. When the edges start to brown (about 3-4 minutes) flip the cake and brown the other side another 4 minutes. You want these crisp, so let them get nice and brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil and cover with foil to keep warm.
Serve with a dollop of Daisy light sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and fresh cilantro sprigs. Makes about 12 – 3″ quinoa cakes.