I ordered my caprese salad (while confirming it was gluten free) and declined the side of bread opting for an apple. The salad was delicious. The baby greens and fresh basil leaves were topped with summer-sweet tomatoes and salty tender mozzarella balls. The salad was lightly dressed with balsamic vinaigrette dressing and the combination was wonderful. Being a fan of traditional caprese salad, I thought their idea was brilliant!
So here’s my version of the Caprese Tossed Salad with the addition of crumbled bacon (isn’t everything better with bacon?) I made the dressing a bit more flavorful than a traditional balsamic vinaigrette by adding Dijon mustard. I also used Mozzarella Pearls, which are smaller than the balls (bocconcini) and were a great find in my local grocery store. Thanks to Panera for the inspiration and for creating a quick take-out option that’s gluten free.
- 2 Tbsp good Balsamic Vinegar
- 1-2 tsp sugar (add one to start and add more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Organic Spring Mix lettuce
- Fresh basil leaves
- Grape tomatoes – cut into 1/4’s
- Mozzarella Pearls (or the larger balls – bocconcini – if you cannot find the pearls)
- Crumpled crisp bacon
- Cut basil leaves for garnish – roll into a tight cylinder shape, chop at an angle.