- 1 small sweet yellow onion
- 4 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 small russet potato
- 2 stalks of celery with leafy tops
- 1 large clove of garlic
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups organic chicken stock – low salt (or vegetable stock)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp 100% pure maple syrup – be careful not to add too much or it will be sweet
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice (if not fresh, only use 1 Tbsp of prepared)
- 1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Peel the onion, carrots, potato, sweet potato, and cut into 1“ cubes. Peel and cut the garlic clove into quarters. Chop the celery and tops into 1” pieces. Place all veggies and garlic onto a large baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper until coated and evenly distributed on pan.
Roast in 425 degree oven for 25 minutes or until tender and gently roasted brown. Remove from oven and transfer to food processor. Pulse to break down the veggies and add 1 cup of the chicken stock while blending until a thick texture – don’t puree to a baby food consistency – keep some texture of the veggies yet making a smooth soup (see picture).
Pour into a medium saucepan and add the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth. Add the remaining soup ingredients and cook over medium low heat until heated through, adding salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat, add the cream and Parmesan cheese and stir until combined. Allow to cool 5 minutes as flavors are stronger when it’s not piping hot.
Serve with fresh gluten free croutons and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.